About the Friends
The ‘Friends' are enthusiasts whose main interest is to safeguard the park's special nature. We work closely with the council's park management. We meet socially several times a month for talks, guided tours and field trips. Volunteers do hands-on work in the park, particularly at "The Gables".
Buggy tours are available for those less mobile.
History of "The Friends"
The Friends of Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, was formed in 1996 with the aim to see the special nature of Pukekura Park maintained and celebrated as unique. We assist the Park staff where appropriate, encouraging the public to enjoy the Park, and be involved with activities which are in keeping with the unique natural character of the Park.
The following is taken from the constitution of The Friends of Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, Inc.
- To safeguard the special nature of the park (a watch-dog role)
- To disseminate information on the Park to the public, and act as a channel for public opinion (a consultative role)
- To enable and encourage active support and promotion for the Park and its features (an educational and participatory role)
- To foster generally the on-going maintenance, development and survival of the Park
Friends of Pukekura Park Incorporated Society Alteration of Rules 13 August 2007 (66KB pdf)
About "The Friends"
- Friends of Pukekura Park are first and foremost people who love Pukekura Park, Brooklands Park and the associated bush Reserves and wish to safeguard the special character.
- We are a social group, we meet in the evenings several times a year, usually with a speaker. We regularly ramble in the Park and explore the special features. Occasionally we enjoy a day trip locally or further afield.
- Three times a year we produce a colourful and informative magazine - read past issues here.
- We maintain this website to keep members up to date with happenings and trends within the Park.
- Some members train to be guides and take tour groups through the Park, others act as tail-end charlies to ensure no one gets lost!
- Volunteers drive the buggy so that less able visitors can also enjoy the Park.
- Other volunteers assist Park staff within the gardens to prune, plant and propagate.
- The Friends committee works closely with Stuart Robertson, NPDC Parks Manager and Chris Connolly the Curator for Pukekura Park.
Services to the public:
- Guided tours—Walking. Please phone Adrienne Tatham on 06 758 1865
- Guided tours—Driven (for the visitor with less mobility). A six seat golf buggy tours the Park between 1pm and 3pm on Sunday afternoons leaving from the Bellringer Pavilion. Week-day tours are by arrangement. Please book with Veronica Bailey, 06 758 8089